Lots of walking stuff

Tuesday, 5 September 2023

Kinder Scout Wildcamp 29/08/2023

 Finally got around to my first wildcamp - been meaning to do this for the last few years.

  I woke up , checked the weather and decided today was the day. I booked train tickets from Langley Mill to Edale , spent the morning getting my kit together and then by 1:30 I was on the way. 



The walk from edale was just a couple of miles. Out of the village and up the Nab and then around the base of Ringing Roger and onto the edge path. From there I followed the dry stream bed of Golden Clough up onto the plateau. Amidst the peat hags and bogs I found a patch of short heather - not completely flat but sufficient to pitch the tent.

On the way up

Grindslow Knoll on the skyline. The way I came down last time I was here.




Couldn't find any running water but there were plenty of bogs !


I was set up fairly quickly and soon had a brew on the go. Cooking was a bit tricky because I didn't have a firm/flat base for the cooker. I used bog water to cook my 'boil in the bag' chickpea curry. Fabulous views across the vale of Edale as the sun went down. The wind started picking up and I was soon tucked up in my sleeping bag as the temperature dropped. I didn't sleep very well as the sound of the wind hitting the tent kept me awake.


Top of Ringing Roger

Room with a view


I must have got some sleep , as I woke up to the sound of rain on the tent. I had just enough water for a cup of tea. Packed up in the rain about 7:30 AM and headed back down to the village. Despite the lack of sleep this was a great experience and I'll be back soon probably heading for the Northern Edge where there are more rocks to offer better shelter when pitching.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Dove Dale 7th July 2026

  The car park at Dove Dale is now run by NT which is much better than before. Headed up past the stepping stones and after a couple of mile...