Brilliant day for a walk - clear , no wind but pleasantly warm.
It was my last chance to see the two last airworthy Lancasters flying together,before the Canadian one returned home.
I set of early so that I could get somewhere to park. The car park and all the laybys down to Fairholmes were all full p at 9.00!!. I did a U turn and headed back to Bamford and parked opposite Ladybower just South of the A57.
I headed away from the edge for a while towards cutthroat bridge. I took a left turn up through Ladybower Wood and the footpath soon disapeared as I reached a high drystone wall. I could see the the edge about 1/2 a mile to my right. As I seemed to be heading back down, I carefully climbed the wall and headed across the open moor to Whinstone Lee Tor. That was really hard work wading though Bracken and Heather.
Eventually I got to the path on the edge and had a pleasant stroll along as far as Back Tor. I had planned to drop down to Derwent Resevoir and watch the planes form there, but decided that the views down Ladybower from close to Whinstone Lee Tor were excellent ...and I would have a shorter walk back to the car after seeing the planes.
I tracked back and found a comfy grass ledge with rocks to lean on looking down the full length of Ladybower. I settled down for a two hour wait, and was soon joined by lots of other folk come to watch. About 30 mins before the Lancs we were treated to a flypast by two spitfires. They flew down and then back along the reservoir twice - fantastic.
Then the Lancs came and it was a real privilege to see them , and also a fantastic view as they were flying level with where we were watching. They flew down , and then back and down again before heading off to Lincolnshire....absolutely brilliant.
After that I dropped back down from Whinstone Lee Tor to the A57 and back to the car.
About 6 Miles OS OL 1 Dark Peak - great day out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dove Dale 7th July 2026
The car park at Dove Dale is now run by NT which is much better than before. Headed up past the stepping stones and after a couple of mile...
-
Starting a new project at work in Bridgend, so travelled down on the Sunday for the first visit and took the opportunity to visit the Brecon...
-
A storm with Gale force winds had been forecast for later in the day , so I thought it would be good to get out and do at least a short walk...
-
This was a slight variation on a walk I have done before. Parked up at the layby opposite Higger Tor on the Ringinlow Road out of Hathersage...
No comments:
Post a Comment