Lots of walking stuff

Sunday, 29 April 2012

27th april 2012 Rowling end

Long awaited break in the Lake District after months of working away. We stayed at a holiday cottage at Rowling End Farm in the Newlands Valley. Stepping outside the front door to our cottage (The Mouse House) you are presented with a magnificent view of Cat Bells



Cat Bells
Derwent Water
Arrived at 4 PM, and after unloading the car, I went for a short walk to check out the footpaths on the other side of the road to the farm. Climbing the bank up to the road from the farm there is a footpath about 20 yards to the right. This climbs steadily around the base of Rowling end. A soon as I hit a left turn of the footpath heading upwards I took that turn. The path (which I checked later wasn’t on the map) was pretty much a beeline to the Eastern end of Rowling end. At various points the path disappeared and I had to scramble. About 4 fifths of the way up…as the scrambling was getting more difficult I stopped, take a breath , and some photos (great views down the Newlands Valley and Derwent Water. At that point I decided to turn back on account of :-

·        I had told Anne I would only be out for half an hour (45 mins already gone)

·        I am rubbish at scrambling

·        No map



Not a full walk I know…..but a  nice warm up for the week ahead
Skiddaw


Distinctive shape of Causey Pike dominates the skyline




 


About 1.5 miles OS OL4 The English Lakes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dove Dale 7th July 2026

  The car park at Dove Dale is now run by NT which is much better than before. Headed up past the stepping stones and after a couple of mile...