Lots of walking stuff

Sunday, 21 August 2011

20th August 2011 Curbar Edge

First time I have done this walk.

Parked up at lay by just below Curbar Gap car park.

Plan A was to follow a walk from a book which was to drop down to the Derwent valley at Curbar. This changed to Plan B after chatting to a couple who were just setting off on a walk.

So Plan B was a walk along Baslow edge for about 3/4 mile and then take the footpath which drops down into Baslow. Over the bridge near the church and then pick up the footpath by the Derwent.

It took me a while finding the correct footpath near Bubnell farm.From there I followed the path down to Calver, over the road and then along the path past Stocking farm. Just after the wier the path crosses a road (New Bridge I think). The path drops down to the river but after a few hundred yards took me to a road (Sheffield / Froggat Road) - I backtracked (half way back to Calver in the end) but couldn't figure out which the correct footpath was to take along the valley to Grindleford.







So Plan C - I decided to pick up the footpath from Froggat up to the Edge. After a tidy climb I reached the point on the edge where Curbar Edge becomes Froggat Edge. Stopped for lunch here. I can't think of anywhere better to have lunch than sat on a gritstone edge in Derbyshire on a warm dry day - brilliant !!






Back along Curbar Edge enjoying the fantastic views across the Derwent Valley to the gap and back down to the car.

I'll definitely do this walk again - figure out the footpath to Grindleford and then do the entire length of Froggat Edge and Curbar Edge


OL 24 White Peak. About 7 miles (includes missed footpaths !!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dove Dale 7th July 2026

  The car park at Dove Dale is now run by NT which is much better than before. Headed up past the stepping stones and after a couple of mile...