Lots of walking stuff

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Skiddaw Little Man June 9 2016

Short walk as part of a stopover in Cumbria on the way to Glasgow the following day, with my boss Ian.

Probably the simplest piece of navigation ever. We parked at the Gale Road car park - so already a thousand foot of elevation. Then straight up on the tourist path.






The conditions were very muggy/humid so the first bit of the walk up the zig zags was hard.

The zig zags

 After stopping for a rest we got onto the less steep section which was so much easier. As the Skiddaw path goes over a stile at a fence (Jenkin Hill to the right), we took a left turn on the well defined path to the lower summit of Little Man (Lesser Man).  After passing Lesser Man we were soon at the true summit for a well deserved rest, and a chat with a fellow fell walker.

Hazy view of Derwent Water

Summit Cairn


Lesser Man from the summit

 From there straight back down to the car , and a short drive to the Royal Oak at Braithwaite where we had  a lovely evening - great food, beer, and conversation.

As the conditions were very hazy the pics I took were distinctly average, but what was nice is that I could see where we were going unlike the first time I came here (one of my early Wainwright walks) in driving rain, and mist. I didn't do Little Man that day as I couldn't see it !That day I got to the top of Skiddaw and came straight back down.

Another Wainwright done - although I still have Lonscale fell to do, so will need to almost repeat this walk.

What a brilliant way to spend a late afternoon/ evening.

OS OL 4 , about 4 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dove Dale 7th July 2026

  The car park at Dove Dale is now run by NT which is much better than before. Headed up past the stepping stones and after a couple of mile...